Samoht

Adjusting the war-feature

86 posts in this topic

First of all i have to say im happy you decided to comment on the current state of the war balancing @Stian .

It all sounds fine to me, except for the thing about war compensation.

I got a new suggestion which wont be bullet prof from the start, but could open a debate about how this will work as intended.

Idea:

- Implement some NAVY units. Just 4-6 different units, or maybe 1 new unit for each tier you reach.

Then make navy units able to ONLY fight other navy units (or else all other units could be useless if your navy units are your strongest units) - and as soon as you have won a battle in a war against another nations navy units (if youre the aggressor), then the nation would be BLOCKED from trading (Because youre blocking the borders of that nation).
- To remove the blockade, the defending nation MUST win 1 navy battle.
(This will make it interesting levelling up new units, and put gear om them, as its pretty important to have strong navy units).
The navy battles should NOT count in the war-score, but just secure you the option to block a nation, and then steal the nations resources.

Note: When a navy division is sent in the battle, you get a notification about its a NAVY battle you will have to fight. - you will get that notification 18 hours before the units arrive, which gives you a little more time to prepare yourself as it is a very crucial and important battle. Despite that, everything should be as it is now. (Just have a "normal" notification about troops will arrive at your nation in about 12 hours as they are now).

Note: The navy battles should be 1 vs 1.

A possible scenario:

- A nation decide to declare on me. After 12 hours i get a notification about troops arriving at my nation in about 12 hours.
I then use a normal defending divisions and we fight a battle. (I lose this battle and the score is 1-0. I also see the aggressor using very strong units.)

A few hours after the battle i get a new noticifation - enemy ships have been seen on a radar on the way to my nation.
I got no choice to fight them - or just let them block my nation. - I decide to fight and i lose the navy battle. (Score is still 1-0).

Now i am blocked and im thinking "Fuck, this dude got strong A10s and GH's, and i got lots of resources stocked".

I try to make a navy attack in the war, to win back my territory, so that i can trade again, and sell my resources to a friend.
(But i lose the navy war. - Score is still 1-0).

The aggressor keeps sending strong "normal" battle divisions, so when the score reaches 4-0 i decide to use my strongest division. I win the battle and the score is now 4-1. (But my nation is still blocked, cause i havent won a navy battle since the aggressor blocked my nation. So i still cant trade).

The aggressor decides to use his absolute strongest divisions after i just won a battle, and he destroys me. Score is now 5-1 and he "demand war compensation".
- I cant do anything about it, cause my nation is blocked. He get a lot of my resources.

// To prevent people just declaring and then launch 1 navy attack to block my nation and then stall the war for a very long time - make a war expire 72 hours after the last battle in war, IF NO NEW DIVISIONS HAS BEEN SENT, and then give the aggressor a countdown of 1 week, until he can declare on that nation again if the war expired. This will secure the defending nation a opportunity to re-stock, sell-out, or whatever he needs to do//

(This will also make being "self-sufficient" a lot more important, cause you cant ALWAYS count on others to save your ass).

This implementation + the new thing about NOT being able to send resources between nations (You HAVE to use the new market), could give you/us the wanted feature we are looking for.

Edit: All this will also give a little boost to the diplomacy aspect of the game.

3 minutes ago, Samoht said:

First of all i have to say im happy you decided to state the current state of the war balancing @Stian .

It all sounds fine to me, except for the thing about war compensation.

I got a new suggestion which wont be bullet prof from the start, but could open a debate about how this will work as intended.

Idea:

- Implement some NAVY units. Just 4-6 different units, or maybe 1 new unit for each tier you reach.

Then make navy units able to ONLY fight other navy units - and as soon as you have won a battle in a war against another nations navy units (if youre the aggressor), then the nation would be BLOCKED from trading (Because youre blocking the borders of that nation).
- To remove the blockade, the defending nation MUST win 1 navy battle.
(This will make it interesting levelling up new units, and put gear om them, as its pretty important to have strong navy units).
The navy battles should NOT count in the war-score, but just secure you the option to block a nation, and then steal the nations resources.

Note: When a navy division is sent in the battle, you get a notification about its a NAVY battle you will have to fight. - you will get that notification 18 hours before the units arrive, which gives you a little more time to prepare yourself as it is a very crucial and important battle. Despite that, everything should be as it is now. (Just have a "normal" notification about troops will arrive at your nation in about 12 hours as they are now).

Note: The navy battles should be 1 vs 1.

A possible scenario:

- A nation decide to declare on me. After 12 hours i get a notification about troops arriving at my nation in about 12 hours.
I then use a normal defending divisions and we fight a battle. (I lose this battle and the score is 1-0. I also see the aggressor using very strong units.)

A few hours after the battle i get a new noticifation - enemy ships have been seen on a radar on the way to my nation.
I got no choice to fight them - or just let them block my nation. - I decide to fight and i lose the navy battle. (Score is still 1-0).

Now i am blocked and im thinking "Fuck, this dude got strong A10s and GH's, and i got lots of resources stocked".

I try to make a navy attack in the war, to win back my territory, so that i can trade again, and sell my resources to a friend.
(But i lose the navy war. - Score is still 1-0).

The aggressor keeps sending strong "normal" battle divisions, so when the score reaches 4-0 i decide to use my strongest division. I win the battle and the score is now 4-1. (But my nation is still blocked, cause i havent won a navy battle since the aggressor blocked my nation. So i still cant trade).

The aggressor decides to use his absolute strongest divisions after i just won a battle, and he destroys me. Score is now 5-1 and he "demand war compensation".
- I cant do anything about it, cause my nation is blocked. He get a lot of my resources.

// To prevent people just declaring and then launch 1 navy attack to block my nation and then stall the war for a very long time - make a war expire 72 hours after the last battle in war, IF NO NEW DIVISIONS HAS BEEN SENT, and then give the aggressor a countdown of 1 week, until he can declare on that nation again. This will secure the defending nation a opportunity to re-stock, sell-out, or whatever he needs to do//

(This will also make being "self-sufficient" a lot more important, cause you cant ALWAYS count on others to save your ass).

This implementation + the new thing about NOT being able to send resources between nations (You HAVE to use the new market), could give you/us the wanted feature we are looking for.

Thats P&W

10 minutes ago, Stian said:

This.

Outstanding, this makes it harder to get rid of your valuable resources without ending up with an enormous pile of money instead.

Im not sure how much i like the idea of not being able to do "private" trading in the future.
- That would require a balance-adjusting to continents. Some continents are WAY better than others atm (In terms of resources).

2 hours ago, Stian said:

• This is probably the most realistic one, but the engine doesn't support negative stockpile
    • Yet...

Although it used to support negative trade agreements. My friend set me back like 2 years because of that, but just barely before you fixed, and it is still only this year that I got enough metal to actually grow again.

@Stian

Now that you are gonna disable direct trading (or whatever we call it) - are you gonna implement trading embargoes??

So that alliances can embargo another alliance, and a player can embargo another player, if we dont want to sell our goods to a specific alliance/player?

Wait, HE ACTUALLY DID IT THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

ok... now that people can actually know what resources cost, It would be cool if you could rework the economy, so inflation isn't too crazy anymore.

16 hours ago, Stian said:

Well, that will definitely not be possible as the resource auction house is being replaced with an exchange.

So with this new update helping out fledgling nations will be almost impossible. Not certain how i feel about this as someone who has an alliance to help grow and take care of. Would love to hear how we're supposed to help one another out especially with how hard the game is so early on to begin with.