Nations - Official Forums
Villain

The community reach out.

Dear Stian

Many people love Nations game, and with good reason!
This is on it's way to become the best game of it's kind, no doubt.

But Stian.. We are worried.
We are a fair lot who enjoy this lovely game, and we want it to flourish!
But we feel disconnected to you, and we feel that our pleas go for deaf ears..

We realize that it's not a full time job for you, and you have a busy life apart from Nations. And we can all accept that, and are infinite grateful that you took time to make this in the first place.

But Stian.. this game means so much to us..
We have pleaed for fixes of bugs that's is devastating for the game.
And we have begged for small changes that could make it more fair.

We know that SamohT has sent a list of bugs and imbalances that really would heal the game.
When saying heal the game, its because it feels dying, and we simply won't let that happen! No way!

Our view of dead is different from yours. We talk about the community, the politics.. the things that happen outside the game itself.  Now, we don't know if you feel any love for us, but we hope you do! So please! Hear our plea.

We want to know..

1. What are your plans and goals with Nations in 2018?

2. do you plan on expanding your development department, so it's no longer only you doing coding and such?

3. Are you aware of, and willing to fix, the bugs and glitches that still haunt the game?

4. Are you open for new ideas to influence your original idea about Nations?

5. Do you plan on expanding the team of Admins?

6. How do you keep your beard so epic?

7. Would you make a link for an official discord server in the game?

We want to know this, because we really care alot about Nations and it's future.

These signatures agree with this petition and accept it as one voice for all signees.

@Villain

@McDuckles 

@Andy

@Rift

@SuperSeb

@Derp

@Par

@Imperator

@G0ld

@IDykes

@Rowdy

@Phantom X

@Indiana Mark

@Anonymous29

@Constatine Madden

Please hear us @Stian

On 29.12.2017 at 4:52 PM, Villain said:

No reaction from Stian at all... 

Maybe he just doesn't care about the players. Oh well it not like we spend countless hours and real money on it.... 

<_<

Hang on a minute, I'm on holiday, so I'm not able to answer just like that.

So, please don't take that as a sign that I don't care, because I do.

Back to the point: The questions!

We are a fair lot who enjoy this lovely game, and we want it to flourish!
But we feel disconnected to you, and we feel that our pleas go for deaf ears..

The fact that anyone likes and plays this game continues to be a point of great honor to me, and I want you all to know this is still the case before I dig deeper into the upcoming questions.

Your pleas do not go for deaf ears. However, lately those ears haven't been as present as they used to be. It's not that I don't want to listen, it's that I haven't been able to listen.

But Stian.. this game means so much to us..
We have pleaed for fixes of bugs that's is devastating for the game.
And we have begged for small changes that could make it more fair.

We know that SamohT has sent a list of bugs and imbalances that really would heal the game. 
When saying heal the game, its because it feels dying, and we simply won't let that happen! No way!

I actually told Samoth I'd get started on these issues and have the first set of patches ready before christmas, but I just couldn't do it. Partly because of the forum issues which have taken a lot of my time, and still hasn't produced any real results, but more importantly because of my new job. More on that later.

Now, we don't know if you feel any love for us, but we hope you do!

I do. Trust me.

1. What are your plans and goals with Nations in 2018?

My plans are to continue development and release bug fixing patches. Feature releases like new tiers, and stuff like that are not prioritised until the biggest balancing issues and bugs are fixed.

2. do you plan on expanding your development department, so it's no longer only you doing coding and such?

I don't see it as realistically possible. I struggle to even get enough time to help out and coordinate with the mods, so a dev team I fear just wouldn't be plausible.

Are you aware of, and willing to fix, the bugs and glitches that still haunt the game?

Hopefully most of them. I've received invaluable help from @Samoht, who is making my life so much easier in the quest to fix these issues. I'll do my best to fix what I can in 2018.

Are you open for new ideas to influence your original idea about Nations?

I'm certainly not opposed to it, but it usually ends up being a time issue.

Do you plan on expanding the team of Admins? 

Yes. If people want to nominate candidates, I'd be happy to see a thread about it!

How do you keep your beard so epic?

Never shower!

Would you make a link for an official discord server in the game?

To be honest, I don't really know how that works, but if anyone wants to make one I can link it in the game.

I also want to expand a bit on why I've been so absent during the last few months. It does not have anything to do with Nations, you the players, or my ambitions about the game, but the simple fact that 1: I've got a new job, or more importantly, a new role. I'm now a partner with a management role in a relatively small company that makes web applications. And being a partner and manager has been way more labor intensive than I could ever imagine. 2: On top of that my fiance broke her ankle and had to go into surgery, so I've been taking care of her in the little time I've spent away from work.

My fiance will of course recover, and the workload in my full-time job will most likely be reduced to more normal levels in 2018, which means I can again spend some more time on Nations. That being said I don't think I'll ever be able to spend as much time on the game as I have done in the last 2-3 years.

I hope this post answers some questions.

I'm still here, and I still deeply care about the game, about you the players, and about the future of Nations. But in the end it's a hobby project, and hobby projects often get sacrificed when time runs short. Nations will continue to be a victim of this, but it's better to be a victim of harsh time priorities, than not existing at all. And to me, Nations not existing too weird to ever be possible.

Happy new year!

8 minutes ago, Stian said:

I apologize if i sounded a bit harsh. 

It's just hard to know what's going on when we don't get any information, and we really want to be in the loop. 

I suggest making a small announcement when making changes to the game, so that we know. 

The discord can SamohT create with ease and I believe there actually is a thread about possible admin candidates, with votes and such. 

There are some of the bugs that simply ruin the game and must be dealt with, the longer they stay the more imbalanced the end result gets. 

On a personal note, 

Congratulations on your new job!         And wish a  'get well' to the fiance! 

@Stian, is their anyway you could train me to fix bugs and patches. I'm currently learning Javascript on codecademy. I'm 75% through the course and 100% through command lines. Soon, once I finish javascrip, I will go on to take the courses on HTML, CSS, Git, and finish Ruby and Python. Would love to help fix patches.

14 minutes ago, Mythicminyme said:

@Stian, is their anyway you could train me to fix bugs and patches. I'm currently learning Javascript on codecademy. I'm 75% through the course and 100% through command lines. Soon, once I finish javascrip, I will go on to take the courses on HTML, CSS, Git, and finish Ruby and Python. Would love to help fix patches.

Yeah, we would like to expand the coding team.

3 hours ago, Mythicminyme said:

Me too, I obviously can't dedicate my entire life to dev but I would be more than happy to help fixing Nations bugs (I already found quite a few as well as solutions). I am proficient in virtually every coding language but web dev is my strength... @Stian

When I do my final project in my computer science class, I will have plenty of time in the summer. Our break lasts from 1 and a half to 2 months. We will be building custom computer towers. So plenty of time... Also, Bungularbike, how should I go after HTML and CSS? Having some trouble...

34 minutes ago, Mythicminyme said:

When I do my final project in my computer science class, I will have plenty of time in the summer. Our break lasts from 1 and a half to 2 months. We will be building custom computer towers. So plenty of time... Also, Bungularbike, how should I go after HTML and CSS? Having some trouble...

you can't just go through codecademy, that teaches you things but you will forget them very quickly. Do it the yard way and scroll through references and syntax documentations, trying to memorize examples. This will seem really boring but if you try and design some basic websites (just for fun, they don't need to serve any big purpose) it will help apply them. If you need more help feel free to message me on nations (since this thread isnt about programming).

If you want to see an example, I tried to replicate nations in a very basic way using web devs. I can send you the files if you want :)

You know what, maybe it could work. I'm not too sure how to do it, but I could invite some of you to the Nations repos in GitHub and we could just try it out? @Mythicminyme do you have a GitHub account and experience in using git?

3 hours ago, Stian said:

You know what, maybe it could work. I'm not too sure how to do it, but I could invite some of you to the Nations repos in GitHub and we could just try it out? @Mythicminyme do you have a GitHub account and experience in using git?

@Stian Username is bungularbike, I have used github pages (and a bit of git) for quite a long time now.

BTW my friend made this website (https://louisasanaka.github.io/Nations-Banned-Duration-Counter/) after he got banned from Nations for trying to hack it... it tracks the amount of time until he's unbanned (2036 or something)... XD

49 minutes ago, Mythicminyme said:

@Stian, give me about one or two days to learn it. Already learned command lines... 

Lol... make that maybe an hour or two... so easy and I love it! Oh and if the first message was miss leading i meant git.

a;dsflijsi.PNG

@Stian, might take a little while... At school my computer science teacher is over the school system's cyber security network. This happened... I'll try to get my computer science teacher to unblock it.

wow... just... wow....PNG

18 minutes ago, Mythicminyme said:

@Stian, might take a little while... At school my computer science teacher is over the school system's cyber security network. This happened... I'll try to get my computer science teacher to unblock it.

wow... just... wow....PNG

Just use a different internet access point